Imperative is a global carbon project development company that aims to be in the top decile for quality in the carbon projects market. We have a build-own-operate model and specialise in the design, development and operation of carbon credit projects that help combat climate change while promoting biodiversity conservation, economic growth and social development in the countries in which we operate. With a strong commitment to environmental and social responsibility, we are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Project Director to join our dynamic team.
Reporting directly to the Head of Projects – Reforestation, the Project Director is responsible for the delivery a world scale native forest regeneration project on the Eastern Cape of South Africa. The Project Director will be based in South Africa (initially in the Eastern Cape) and will be Imperative’s senior representative responsible for all aspects the project.
The ultra-high-quality project consists of 100,000 hectares of the native Spekboom species. The project will transform large areas of the rural South African landscape and will generate significant carbon offsets in the race to solve the world’s climate emergency. If you want to be a leader on one of the world’s great carbon credit projects, then this role is for you.
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Team Leadership: Recruit, lead, and motivate the project team, ensuring they have the necessary resources and guidance to achieve project goals.
- Project Delivery: Successful delivery of all aspects of the project including reputation, schedule, quality and financial performance.
- Project Planning: Develop a comprehensive project plan for expansion phases of the project including objectives, timelines, budgets, and resource allocation.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Foster strong relationships with strategic partners, landowners, local communities, governmental agencies and other stakeholders to ensure project buy-in, support, and cooperation.
- Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE): Lead the project team to develop a best-in-class safety culture and deliver industry leading HSSE performance.
- Schedule and Cost Management: Oversee the project’s schedule and cost performance, including schedule and budget development, monitoring, and control.
- Quality: Deliver the project in accordance with the project Quality Plan.
- Risk Management: Identify potential risks and opportunities and develop mitigation and exploitation plans to ensure project success and minimize negative impacts.
- Reporting: Prepare regular progress reports, financial reports, and other documentation required for internal and external stakeholders.
- Compliance: Ensure compliance with all relevant environmental laws, regulations, and permits.
- Project Tech: Overseeing the successful development and operations of the digital tech stack.
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
Key skills and attributes required for the role are;
- Project management: Strong understanding of project management methodologies and best practices. Ability to drawing on proven practices from the carbon industry and adjacent industries in order to develop and implement best-in-class project management practices and procedures.
- Asset management: Strong understanding of asset management methodologies and best practices.
- Financial acumen: Strong financial and commercial acumen and budget management skills.
- People management: A proven ability to attract, develop, and retain top talent and build high performing teams. Provide coaching and mentoring to project team members to enhance their skills and capabilities.
- Data analysis: Work the Projects Controls teams to understand and utilize data analysis and performance metrics.
- Integrity: Demonstrate a high level of drive and personal integrity and be passionate about making a positive difference to the world.
- Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- HSSE commitment: Commitment to top decile performance in health, safety, security and environment.
- The position requires a relevant degree and, ideally, a master’s level from an internationally renowned university.
- The position requires at least 15 years’ experience in relevant roles.
- Experience leading large scale carbon projects and / or projects in adjacent industries is required.
- Significant experience managing teams and serving in leadership roles is required.
South Africa, ideally Port Elizabeth
Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement. Afrikaans is advantageous.
At Imperative, we are passionate about our values are encourage all team members to embrace them.
- Integrity: We act honourably and are guided by a strong moral compass. If things go wrong, we put our hand up, admit it and adapt.
- Momentum: Speed matters. We have a bias to action. We think quick, we plan tirelessly, we mitigate risks but above all, we take action.
- Purpose: We are driven by our desire to make the world better, with every interaction, process and project.
- Accountability: We do what we say, and we deliver. We seek to be the best at what we do.
- Collaboration: We celebrate diversity of thought, values and backgrounds and seek to harness the strength of our people and partners to achieve more than we individually can, through teamwork and creativity.
- Tenacity: We are highly ambitious, driven and hardworking. We persist until we deliver impact.