Imperative is a global carbon project development company that aims to be in the top decile for quality in the carbon projects market. We have a build-own-operate model and specialise in the design, development and operation of carbon credit projects that help combat climate change while promoting biodiversity conservation, economic growth and social development in the countries in which we operate. With a strong commitment to environmental and social responsibility, we are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Nursery Director to join our dynamic team.
The Nursery Director is responsible for all aspects of the seedling nursery establishment and operation for multiple world class plant nurseries which are an integral component of a native forest regeneration project on the Eastern Cape of South Africa.
The ultra-high-quality carbon credit project consists of 100,000 hectares of the native Spekboom species.
The nurseries will be modern, permanent facility with a high level of automation, capable of delivering several million Spekboom cuttings per month via vegetative propagation.
The Nursery Director will be based in the Eastern Cape of South Africa and will report directly to the CEO of the integrated project team. They will be responsible for all aspects of the nursery establishment and operation including delivery within budget, on schedule and to agreed quality and performance KPIs.
If you want to be leader on one of the world’s great carbon credit projects and be responsible for a truly world class nursery, then this role is for you. Imperative and its partner on this project NatCarbon, aim to be in the top decile for quality in the carbon projects market. We are thought leaders and pioneers of practical, scalable, high-impact project activities. We intend to lift and shape the market for the better, and this role will play a key role in that mission.
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Leadership and Team Management:
- Provide strategic leadership to the plant nursery team, fostering a collaborative and positive work environment.
- Oversee the recruitment, training, and development of staff, ensuring expertise in plant propagation, cultivation, and customer service.
- Lead a team of horticulturalists, supervisors, machine operators and laborers
- Nursery Construction:
- Oversee the design and construct contractor for the nursery.
- Plant Production and Quality Control:
- Develop and implement efficient plant propagation processes to meet production targets.
- Establish and maintain quality control measures to ensure the health, vitality, and uniformity of plants.
- Inventory Management:
- Utilising a best-in-class digital platform, manage plant inventory, including tracking stock levels, conducting regular audits, and optimizing stock turnover.
- Implement effective inventory control measures to minimize losses and waste.
- Compliance and Environmental Stewardship:
- Ensure compliance with relevant regulations, permits, and environmental standards governing plant nurseries in South Africa.
- Promote environmentally sustainable practices in plant production and nursery operations.
- Budgeting and Financial Management:
- Develop and manage the nursery budget and with the support of the project controls team, track costs against it.
- Implement cost-effective measures without compromising the quality of plants and services provided.
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- A self-starter who can lead a significant scope of work in a remote location.
- Demonstrate a high level of personal integrity and be passionate about making a positive difference to the world.
- Have extremely well-developed communication skills at both the executive level and in the field.
- Ability to lead the execution and planning of major projects.
- Sound contractual administration abilities.
- Strong digital literacy and reporting skills
The position requires a relevant agricultural degree from an internationally recognized university.
- The position requires approximately 10 years’ experience in relevant roles.
- Experience in developing and running similar large-scale nurseries is essential.
- Significant experience managing teams and serving in leadership roles is critical.
- Experience with the Ellepot propagation system and nursery equipment is preferred.
- Membership of the Seedling Growers Association of South Africa (SGASA) is preferable.
- Strong networks and relationships with local suppliers is preferable.
South Africa, preferably Port Elizabeth
Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement and Afrikaans & isiXhosa is preferable.
At Imperative, we have are passionate about our values are encourage all team members to embrace them. These are:
- Integrity: We act honorably and are guided by a strong moral compass. If things go wrong, we put our hand up, admit it and adapt.
- Momentum: Speed matters. We have a bias to action. We think quick, we plan tirelessly, we mitigate risks but above all, we take action.
- Purpose: We are driven by our desire to make the world better, with every interaction, process and project.
- Accountability: We do what we say, and we deliver. We seek to be the best at what we do.
- Collaboration: We celebrate diversity of thought, values and backgrounds and seek to harness the strength of our people and partners to achieve more than we individually can, through teamwork and creativity.
- Tenacity: We are highly ambitious, driven and hardworking. We persist until we deliver impact.